GCSB Arts, Education and Wellness (GCSB)
Become A Board Member -Glass City Swing Band Arts, Wellness and Education (GCSB) is looking for people with positivity and a passion for our mission to join our board of directors! We have four board seats open for 2019.
Why join? Board members make a difference at GCSB. Our board of directors guides our strategic direction and our long-term sustainability. Their leadership helps ensure our vision and values and our commitment to equity are lived out in daily work.
Board members work collaborative with the founders. They are expected to contribute in ways that match their interests, abilities, talents, and connections. You can learn more about board member responsibilities below.
We value a broad range of personal and professional backgrounds. This year, we are especially seeking people with experience working in: event management, fundraising, finance, and past non-profit experience.
Responsibilities of board members include:
- Act in the spirit of the GCSB vision, mission, and values.
- Together with other board members, steward strong governance:
- Set goals and long-term organizational strategies
- Oversee the performance of the Philanthropic Director and Musical Director
- Ensure the organization has measures in place to maintain legal and financial compliance
- Ensure that the organization maintains and complies with fair and equitable workplace policies
- Meet commitments to all stakeholders
- Participate in succession planning by recruiting new board members, providing for a Board that remains healthy and regenerative
3. Contribute to board work:
- Prepare for each Board Meeting
- Attend board meetings absent irreconcilable conflict, and actively contribute their knowledge and views in an honest and mutually respectful manner
- Disclose any potential or actual conflict of interest and, where appropriate, avoid participating in considering or voting on a matter
- Serve on a board committee, adhering to the same values listed above
4. Steward organizational financial health:
- Contribute financially to GCSB, at a level that is significant to the member
- Thoughtfully leverage personal and/or professional connections to further the organization’s fundraising goals
- Develop and maintain a basic understanding of nonprofit financials, and use that knowledge to maintain fiduciary responsibility (the duty of care, the duty of loyalty, and the duty of obedience
5. Support achieving organizational goals:
- Maintain knowledge of current GCSB programs
- Be accessible to staff, respond in a timely way to staff requests, and serve as a resource to staff members in areas where the member has knowledge or expertise.
- Serve as a liaison between the organization and other organizations and constituencies to which the member has personal or professional connections
- Represent the organization to the public, legislative and policymaking bodies, media, and/or stakeholder groups as appropriate
Positivity and passion for the GCSB mission are the most important keys to success in this role.
The time commitment for membership is approximately 6-10 hours per month on board, committee, and fundraising related duties. Members should expect to spend their time on the following:
Preparing for and attending monthly board meetings (1 - 1 1/2 hours)
Communicating with board members and staff (1 hour)
Participating in committee and fundraising efforts (2-4 hours)
Reporting progress to the Board President (0.5 hours)
Completing specific tasks and work areas as assigned (1-2 hours)
Board terms begin at the start of the calendar year, and are 1 year terms.
If you are interested in joining our board in 2019, reach out to our founders, or any current member of the board. Positions are open until filled.
Volunteer - We welcome all volunteers. Above we have listed our immediate need for Board Members. However, if being a Board Member is not something you are interested in, please contact us and we can help you find a volunteer position that fits your passion!
General Fund - By Supporting the general fund, donors have a direct and meaningful impact on the daily operations of GCSB. These gifts touch every facet of the non-profit organization, from electricit to purchasing supplies for children and adult programs. General Fund gifts are fully tax deductible and support essential operations that enable the responsible distribution of the funds where they are needed most. By making a gift to the General Fund, you are not only supporting the core activities of GCSB, you are also furthering its mission and facilitating its future.
Planned Giving - Making a gift through your estate can be done regardless of your net worth, using a variety of fiscal planning tools such as charitable remainder trusts, charitable gift annuities, and life insurance. Often there are tax incentives and benefits that encourage charitable giving. GCSB's vision can be continued for generations to come through your legacy in artistic excellence, scholarship, or community outreach.
Memory and Honor Gifts - Life is filled with those who inspire us to extend heartfelt thoughts throughout the year. Honor or remember the special individuals in your life with a gift to GCSB. Memory or Honor Gifts to GCSB offer an artful way to mark personal milestones with a gift that endures for all time—not only for your recipient, but also for the community and GCSB. With your permission, the individual you choose to honor will receive a personalized acknowledgment notifying them of your generous contribution and commitment to art, education, wellness, and to GCSB, without reference to the amount of the donation.
Payroll Deduction - You can donate a specific amount each month to help ensure GCSB’s continued growth and success.
Golden Memories Sponsorship - Help GCSB Arts, Education and Wellness offer a therapeutic musical experience with a live big band to senior communities. Information and sponsorship levels are available for reference.
SCAT- Sponsor an individual with special needs to attend Swingin' with Creative Arts Therapies (SCAT). SCAT information and sponsorship levels are available for reference.
Call GCSB Arts, Education, and Wellness today at 724.374.3777 if you have any questions or would like to set up a donation that will make an impact today! Ask for Jill Procida!